Friday, August 20, 2010

All Smiles

So where do I begin....

Madison had a appt on Wednesday morning at the Nemours Children's Clinic with Dr. Farris (a pediatric orthopedic doctor). The clinic was awesome and it felt good to know that she would be in good hands. She was taken to the plaster room (where they put cast on) and we waited for the doctor to review the x-rays from the ER.
Cool skeleton in plaster room!
So from the x-rays the doctor told us that Madison needed surgery to repair the dislocation-she was admitted straight to the Children's Hospital at Sacred Heart. The staff, nurses and volunteers were awesome. They made us all feel very comfortable. We decided that Eric would stay the night with Madison in the hospital and I would take Katelyn home after the surgery.
Madison's room-located right next to the playroom.

The volunteers at the Children's Hospital were wonderful. They scheduled craft time and there was a Tae Kwon Do school that came to give a demonstration to the patients. It was very heartwarming because located at the Children's Hospital was an oncology ward. (Side note-the entire experience was very surreal in that most of the kids on the floor were repeat visitors to the oncology department. Every time that my emotions got the best of me, I was reminded exactly how fortunate we are to have HEALTHY kids. I pray that those children will overcome their difficult struggles and grow up to be great adults).
Madison -all smiles-coloring and watching cartoons.
She was taken down to pre-op between 5 and 6. Katelyn got to ride with her on the bed and it was so cute (photos are on my phone-I'll try to get them to blogger).
Ready to go-not all smiles-a little nervous

The nurse got Pinkie ready for surgery!

Madison was so exhausted. She was not allowed to eat the entire day and by the time the anesthesiologist came to give her the sleepy medicine, she was already asleep. We gave kisses and they wheeled her back to the OR around 10pm.
Kate fell asleep with pinky while waiting for Madison to get done with surgery. The white kitty cat was brought to Madison by Lt Col Chuvala and his wife Linda. So sweet!
Around 11pm, the doctor found us in the waiting room. He was all smiles! So we were all smiles! He was able to manipulate her elbow back into place without any breakage of the bones, which meant no pins or nails. He kept saying how pleased he was with her demeanour and what a great patient she had been. So once Madison was recovered (which she slept through) and wheeled back to her room (which she slept through), I left her in Eric's hands for the night.

The next morning, I found Madison sitting up in bed having breakfast.


She was all smiles!


Katelyn jumped in bed with Madison and fed her breakfast

Then we ventured to the playroom for a while.



Did I mention how great the playroom was?
Lunch was served for Madison while Eric went to the cafe to get a salad and some pasta for Kate. While he was gone, Dr. Farris came by to see Madison and give instructions on what happens next. The nurse took out Madison IV....drama! The tape coming off was worth 1000 tears and Madison cried everyone of them. But afterward, the girls shared a lunch together on the bed.

(Side note: On the way out of the hospital, there was a fountain in the hospital. The girls asked for a penny to make a wish. Once we got home, I asked Maddy about her wish and she said "I wished that all the sick kids would get better and go home like me". AWWW I love that girl! She is SO SWEET!)

And then we left for home! Just like that...she was our patient now! Once we returned home, Madison received several "special deliveries".

Pops and Nana sent the lion and balloons, Mimi and Peepaw sent the bear with balloons, the Sawyers sent the flowers with balloons, and the Willis family sent the yummy cupcakes.

Later that night, Madison was all smiles!
She was so brave throughout the entire process-ER-Doctor's office-Hospital-Surgery-Recover-
I am so proud of her!

No comments: