Monday, March 10, 2008

worst mom award goes to...

Me
Today was the first day of "let Katelyn cry it out". To make a long story short, she is almost 8 months old and a horrible sleeper. She barely takes 1 nap a day and is yet to sleep through the night. Madison was sleeping through the night by week 8. When we were in Alabama, Kate was sleeping great--since her 6mo checkup in January..no such luck. It seems like she wakes up every hour all night long. I can't take it anymore!

So after much debate and research, we have decided to just let her cry...period! But she doesn't just cry-she screams --and not just any scream--it sounds like the devil is taking over--she gets out of control. This morning she cried for 39 minutes but she finally went to sleep and slept for over 2 hours. When she woke up she was happy!! just sat in her bed and played. Later this afternoon, she was rubbing her eyes, so I lay her down and she only cried for 8 minutes. I thought...hmmm.this is working out pretty good. Tonight she cried for nearly 25 minutes and she is finally asleep. POOR BABY! I know it is best for her to soothe herself..I know that it is teaching her great sleeping habits..I know that she does not hate me for doing it..so why is it so hard to listen too? Why do I need a pep squad to make it through 20 minutes of crying?

O well, another day down the drain. And a long night ahead. My prediction is that she will be screaming again at 12 and 5 am. I'll post tomorrow and let you know what happened. Good night and happy dreams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And good luck to you! Kids- they are so hard sometimes! :)

Peepaw&Mimi said...

My precious Melisa you are soooo not worthy of receiving the worst mom award - just the opposite my dear daughter-in-law - you are a very loving and nurturing mom - remember that this too will pass - in 17 years or so you will be sitting up in your bed waiting for Ms. Kate to arrive home from a date - maybe a little later than expected ;-) that's when you and Eric will sit back and talk about these nights and just smile!
xoxoxoxoxox
Mimi & Peepaw

Erin said...

I could have written that post about Gracie... She was a horrible sleeper until about 9 months, when I too made the big CRY IT OUT decision. It took 53 minutes the first night, 20 the second and now she goes to sleep all by herself every night and sleeps like an angel... Never even a peep! Good Luck and don't worry she will love you no matter what!